Our guestbook

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Distelzweig Christmas letter 2011

I just realized that I wrote this last year and never posted it. Better late than never, right??? Enjoy the 2011 newsletter as I sit here working on 2012:) Annie

  I truly thought that this insane year would leave me with a million words to share with you.

Instead, nothing quite seems to sum up what 2011 meant for our family. I started off wishing the year away since it meant so many days with Kurt deployed. It ended up being even more days gone that I ever anticipated. It was by no means an easy year for our family, but I sit here writing this so insanely proud of my husband, my kiddos, and myself. From January through October, our family was together for a total of about 4 weeks (of course, not consecutive) Kurt spent 7 weeks training in Las Vegas, a month in Libya, and 6 months in Iraq. We squeezed in a week long trip to Italy and got to see Pisa, Tuscany, Florence and Cinque Terre. The kids and I spent a week in England, the summer in Ohio, and the fall adjusting to life with Keegan in kindergarten, Reese in preschool, sports, and base activities. Oh...and I just happened to move to a new house in there somewhere too;)

Kurt returned and life was "normal" again. We went to Berlin and have been going to Christmas markets galore. Kurt's parents and sister visited and we had an early Christmas and took a road trip to Rothenburg. Next week we are heading to London

I found myself thinking often during the times that our family was not together about how truly blessed we all are. Regardless of our geographical location, there was never a doubt in anyones mind that they were loved. That is truly the most amazing gift. I saw my children beam with pride in their fathers service. I saw their faces light up like it was Christmas day every time they got to talk to Kurt on the phone for a few short minutes. I proved to myself that I am much stronger than I thought. I think I am growing up. Or maybe parenthood has broadened my horizons and allowed me to see how simply beautiful every day is.

Although I have no interest in repeating the year, I am so thankful for the lessons I have learned and the ability to truly reflect on what is important. I am thankful for an amazing husband who means just as much to me thousands of miles away as he does sitting right next to me holding my hand. I am thankful for beautiful, healthy, smart, and well adjusted children, even on the days when I feel like being a parent might just be making me certifiably insane. I am thankful for an amazing family who swoops in to make our life easier at just the right moments and who still love me even when they see me at my worst. I am beyond grateful for my military family. I could not survive a single day without you and it is friends who are like family to me that make this crazy life possible to live. And last but not least, I am thankful for God who blesses me and my family continuously...even when I am certain I don't deserve it. I thank Him every day for showing me His plan and making me ashamed of myself for ever having an ounce of doubt that everything does in fact happen for a reason.

No comments: