FRIDAY March 13, 2009A year ago tomorrow a student in our squadron died in a tragic crash. This was the second time in Kurt's short military career that we have had to deal with this kind of devastating news.
I can honestly say that there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think of Kurts friends who were way too young and too amazing to leave this earth so soon. I think of their families who are raising children without their daddys!!!! Every time I hear the jets roar over the house on their way home I have a mixed feeling of overwhelming pride and saddness. There is not a time that I dont wonder if Kurt or one of his buddies can see us playing in the backyard in the afternoon. Then, in the blink of an eye I think of Trojan and Jinx and the beautiful wives and children that they left behind. I only wish I could describe to those of you ourside of a fighter squadron the calibur of people that gave their lives b.c they wanted to make the world a better place for their families and for complete strangers that they never knew. A few of you have had the chance to hang out with us at the squadron bar or at a party...and without fail eveyrone comments on what a CRAZY yet amazing group of people we know. I wish every American could have the chance to truly just see a day in the life of these men and women.
When Kurt walks in the door every evening I have a huge sense of relief come over me...but I always remember that not all of our military men and women get to come home at the end of the day. In an unexplainable way you feel guilty that your life is normal while someone elses is the exact opposite. Deep down you know that it could have just as easily been your family!!!! In Kurts line of work all of these pilots are the BEST!!!! They are amazing and talented and brave. When they are compared and one is said to be better than another it is like trying to compare a group of valedictorians whos GPAs are all 4.0something!!!! You really cant fairly distinguish one from another.
I am soooooo proud to be a part of such an amazing military family. I know that at times we get frustrated with each other, wish things were different etc...but in the end we all come together and support each other when it really matters. Today I will be at a memorial, and in a few days a baby shower. This so accuratly sums up our life....together through thick or thin. We really function as a family. Keegan and Reese have more uncles than they can count....and Kurt and I have so many siblings we cant keep track. Of course...we also have the most amazing leaders too...the ones who are our mom and dad when we need one!!! No one ever said a normal family....but one that we would never trade for anything in the world!!!
For those of you reading this blog who are military families....I hope you know how much you all mean to Kurt and I and the kids. We could not make it one single day in this life without you!!!! For those of you who are not in the military, please keep them and their familes in your prayers. These are men and women who truly deserve to never be forgotten!!!!! They really are heros and we are honored to be surrounded by such selfless and honorable people!!!!
So, basically today is a very sad day for the 62nd fighter squadron family, the F16 commmunity, the AF and the military. It is one in which we have to look at the worst part of the life we live. It is the one that forces you see what the ultimate price of freedom is!!!!
JINX...the Spikes will NEVER forget you!!!! Kristi and Braden, you are forever a part of our family and are in our prayers always!!!!
Kurt...I love you more than you could ever know...even if you are the last one to come back from your TDY:)









2 comments:
How eloquently said!!! I can only relate to your lives through that of my son and his family..he is now retired out of the Navy with 20 years service...working in the civilian world in the same field he worked in in the military. His tours of duty were sometimes 6 months or more at a time..leaving behind a wife and children...first time out leaving a wife and an 11 day old son. Another 6 month cruise he left a wife that was 2 months pregnant with a toddler not even 2 years old. Got home to a very pregnant wife and once again a child he didn't really know and had to get to know all over again. Many cruises in 20 years time...from weeks long to months ... having to leave his family behind and they having to watch him go off once again. Moving every 3 years to a different place...uprooting yourself spouce and your children from friends and everything familiar and trying to readjust to a new home..friends and school.Almost always away from ALL family. But all this is done for the rest of us who... unintentionally take it for granted..never stopping to think what a military family gives up for the rest of us to be safe.
THANK YOU!!!!
Amen, Annie. Amen.
Post a Comment