We are once again putting out Christmas Newsletter online. I will once again claim that it is an effort to go green...but it is really b/c I had a hard time writing it, ddint really think it was Christmas card material, and couldnt have gotten them printed and stuffed into envelopes in time anyway...
Oh...and the pic at the top of the blog was the one that was supposed to make it into the cards. Instead I printed 100 copies of the wrong picture. I guess that is what happens when you order prints online at 2am:) Ultimately, this just sums up our life...chaotic, far from perfect, yet somehow wonderful none the less!!!!
Family and Friends...
I have sat down to write this letter about a dozen times, and I just couldn't figure out what to say that would sum up the past year in the Distelzweig house. Then I was inspired by two friends. So, here we go...and we will see where this ends up.
A friend mentioned that when writing her holiday letter she compared their life in the military to living in a snow globe. Everything is nice and peaceful and then with one quick shake everything is tossed upside down and you just need to give everything time to settle into place again. Another friend had commented that she was thankful for all the little things in life that put everything else into perspective.
So, being a military family makes it difficult to write the traditional Christmas letter that shows everything in life as being ideal, yet at the same time it is difficult to complain when we have so much to be thankful for and cant imagine our life any other way.
Kurt has an amazing job doing something he dreamt of since he was a little boy. I am still in awe of the fact that my husband goes to work every day an straps himself into a jet. I try to keep this in mind when he works 12 hour days and then goes to class after that. Life in the military is not absent of stress and worry, but we have the most amazing military family that after several assignments and moves spans across the globe. We can honestly say that we could not make it through a single day without these amazing people!!! I blame all of you for my ridiculously long Christmas Card list!!!! :)
I am lucky enough to stay at home with Keegan and Reese. Two toddlers are just about the most amazing and exhausting thing in the world. I truly thought I knew what being a parent meant before having kids, and now I understand that we still don't completely know how to be parents. We consider ourselves very blessed to be given the opportunity to try to figure out how to be someone's mom and dad and say a prayer every night that we don't mess up!!!! I am still trying to convince myself that sleep is overrated (not working so well!!!) and there are days when I am pretty sure all brain cells associated with being a functioning adult have been replaced by ones that only allow me to know where every park in the neighborhood is, memorize children's books, and come up with creative things to do with a toilet paper roll. Despite sleep deprivation I can't think of anything more rewarding that watching a child grow.
Keegan will be 3 in January and Reese is a year and a half old. They are beautiful and mischievous. In one second they can make you laugh so hard you cry...and in the next moment, well, they can make you actually cry. They are so smart and full of energy. Keegan loves to sing, ride his tricycle, and read books. Reese loves to run, climb and say hi to everyone she meets. They adore each other and can't stand when the other sibling is not around, yet also torment and tease each other unmercifully. I have had people tell me that just watching them in exhausting.
This year we have spent time with family and had a few vacations. Living away from our family is one of the most difficult things we have ever done. We are homesick countless times during a year, yet when we are all together it is like we never left. Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder. We have tackled a few projects around the house and then at other times decided that things could wait and we just took time to relax. We have spent countless hours pushing kids in swings, playing with sidewalk chalk, and swimming in the pool.
We have said farewell to old friends and made a few new ones. Sadly we have suffered the loss of a fellow F16 pilot and a future brother in law. We have been thankful for our family being together, yet when thinking back on Kurt's time in Iraq and losing a good friend there, realized how many families are not as fortunate as us. Please keep all of our troops in your prayers all year long.
Life is not always easy and perfection is impossible....but when the snow globe gets shaken we always land back on the ground together as a family. It really is all the little things that put everything into perspective. We have so much love in our house and as difficult as it is to remember at times, that is all that really matters. At the end of every day we have countless things to be grateful for and so many smiles and giggles to reflect upon. Our life is perfectly chaotic and we wouldnt have it any other way. We look forward to the adventures that the New Year has in store for us. We have been in AZ for almost 2 years so a new assignment is on the horizon. Our heads are spinning with all of the possibilities. We are hoping to make a trips to San Diego, Mexico, Washington DC, Ohio and Texas in 2009. We hope that you and your loved ones are just as excited about what the future holds. We would like to wish you a wonderful holiday season and a happy, healthy New Year.
Not sure if this even makes sense...but naptime is over so this is what you get this year:)
Love,
Annie, Kurt,Keegan, Reese and Jack
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
























6 comments:
What a BEAUTIFUL family you have...you are truly blessed in many ways!!!
Luv to all
A great letter Annie! You said it all so well. I'm not too impressed with the line about a new assignment being on the horizon. We'll only have 9 month or so together... you're going to have to stick around! :)
The pictures are beautiful. I am so thankful you are all part of our lives. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Great letter, Annie! What a beautiful family and those pictures are just precious. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and bright New Year! Christmas will be so much fun with two toddlers. Take care! love, The Comers
Best Christmas newsletter, ever! Honest moms score high points in my world...and AMEN to the snowglobe analogy. Your little ones are beautiful, and all the best in this next year!
The pictures are SOOO awesome! I can't wait to see all of them next time I'm over. We've missed you guys over the last few weeks with all our traveling. Can't wait for a playdate soon! :)
Post a Comment